Tips offered to help you ensure your safety

Tessa Morhardt, Editor in Chief

In this past semester, there have been incidents where students have been followed from the school to their parked cars. If faced with such a situation, Public Safety encourages you call them or use the following tips to make sure that you stay safe.

According to Public Safety Director John Flannery, in these situations, it is best to turn around and walk the other way. This way, you are able to see who the person is. If you are close enough to your car, set off your car alarm and this will notify public safety to come check what is going on.

You are always able to call Public Safety to come pick you up or you are able to visit the Public Safety office to get a ride to your car.

Public Safety plans for putting more lighting into the parking lots along with video cameras to help with accidents and to keep track of what is going on in the parking lots. They are hoping to have this project put in by the upcoming semester. A possible volunteer opportunity might be put in place where volunteers can escort students to their cars.

Flannery said he plans on sending officers to self-defense classes to bring back tips on how to act on these situations.

In this upcoming semester there are plans to also have self-defense classes as well as a couple of events to talk about the safety on campus and how to keep yourself safe.

If you are feeling unsafe on campus, call Public Safety at (608) 246-2222 to make them aware of these situations. They are here to help and to keep you safe. In the case of an emergency, call 9-1-1.