Brain power teaches how to deal with mental health and stress

Britni Petitt, Photo Editor

Stress and mental health play a large part in people’s day-to-day lives. We’ve been seeing the headlines for years about how chronic stress can negatively impact both physical and mental health. College students today are under more stress than ever before. Many are working while taking classes, some have families to take care of on top of a busy work and class schedule. So this begs the question: how do we effectively manage stress in an increasingly stressful world?

Lisa Lanting, a Health and Wellness Coordinator, was among a group of people who applied for a grant to test out the bio- and neurofeedback equipment on campus. According to the innovation request form, “Madison College has a large population of students and employees who are suffering from stress-related disorders.” The form goes on to explain that 64% of college dropouts report it’s because of a stress-related disorder, whether it be anxiety, depression, etc.

Bio- and neurofeedback devices have been used clinically to treat anxiety, PTSD, and other disorders. Biofeedback training in schools also has a long, successful history of reducing anxiety and improving health and academic performance.

Here at Madison College, students have access to multiple options to learn about stress management. From yoga, walking, and meditation, there are options every afternoon Monday through Friday. On Tuesdays at the TRIO office, you can experience Biofeedback for Brainpower, a program to help students learn new ways to regulate their nervous system, strengthen their resilience, and relieve stress-related disorders in a way that makes it seem like a game.

There are a couple different options of bio- and neurofeedback students can attempt. Participants wear a clip on their ear or a headband depending on which program they’re trying. The main goal for both is to learn how to manage stress responses with breathing techniques.