Veterans Resource Fair to be held at Truax on March 29

Brad Burt, Staff Writer

The Veterans Resources Services at Truax Campus will be hosting its annual veteran resource fair in the cafeteria, along with the “Reflections of Vietnam” exhibit in room D1630.

The Veterans Resource Fair is being offered by the members of the Veterans Lounge at the Truax Cafeteria on Friday March 29, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Veterans Administration representatives and community partners will be on-site to assist by bringing in employers who offer hiring assistance.

A variety of community programs will also be available, who are educating student veterans of their available resources with their college to civilian transition, along with assisting the veterans who use the VA VITAL program, as they transition through Building 22 of the William S. Middleton Veterans Administration Hospital.

Veterans Resources Coordinator Allan Locia said “Our development of our on-campus resource fair will be more of a robust offering this year,” who is inviting our campus to spend time in remembrance of the Vietnam War, which is the highlight of the event. The resource fair will aid the entire spectrum of veterans who are seeking outside sources, who will help aid their boots on the ground academic journey.

To add to the excitement the “Reflections of Vietnam” exhibit is also being offered this year as a showcase of equipment through a journey of storytelling by those who witnessed the event.

This group started in the 1980s through the Vietnam Veterans of America, as a retrospect come to life, through the reality of the Vietnam war.

Items will be presented in lockers, which display artifacts from the Vietnam era.

The mobile museum is one of the largest displays in the state of Wisconsin and will surely be one not to miss.

“Vietnam Veterans will be sharing their experience from the conflict, not so much from their transition, but more of what the war was like” stated Locia.

The entire dedication Allan has put into the event stems from his commitment to seeing to it Madison College veterans are being provided with an academic support system by guiding our veteran student body with professional development.

Allan’s mission along with the VRS Mission statement seeks to “promote veterans resources at school and connect students to help them navigate the college system, while assisting them with transition to civilian life.”