Black History Month events include movie, forum on health

Amara Gobermann, Managing Editor

February is the month of love, but it also the month of black history appreciation.

If you are looking for a way to get involved or interested in celebrating black culture, Madison College has some events coming up that might catch your eye.

Coming up on Tuesday, Feb. 19, “The Hate You Give” will be playing from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. in the Intercultural Exchange area in the Truax building.

Everyone is welcome to join and watch the movie. This could open eyes to just about anyone, black, white, Hispanic, or Asian.

Another event that is coming up is co- sponsored by the Black Student Union (BSU) in partner with Black and Brilliance and will be held on  Feb. 28 from 12:30 p.m. to 3 p.m. The theme is black people and dealing with mental health issues. It will be held in Room D1630BC.

If you are interested in these events you can reach out to Donna Chappell at [email protected],  who is in charge of the movie; or Jodi Williams at [email protected]. This is a great chance to get involved with BSU or any other group that is in support of minorities on campus.

Having these events on campus is a great way to highlight the black community at Madison College and give support to anyone who is looking for it.

The movie “The Hate You Give” is an appropriate movie to show and give exposure to the brutal crimes against black men and women that happen every day by police and are ignored or get no justice. This movie is revolutionary, and Black History Month gives us an even greater opportunity to bring this problem to people’s attention.

Having an event for the black community on mental health is a step forward to helping more black people who are struggling. We tend to see mental health being focused on white peopl,e but the truth is black people struggle just as much or even more because of the oppression that comes with being black in America. Giving the black community resources could change lives.

Black History Month is a great highlight for the community, but let’s not limit it to just one month. Appreciate black culture and the history all year around.