The Clarion

Clarion earns national recognition at conference

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Clarion received seven awards at the Associated Collegiate Press National College Media Convention. Pictured, from left, are staff members Damara Gillett, Alexandra Christensen, Andrew Kicmol and Joe Craker.

Clarion Staff

The Clarion received seven national awards at the Associated Collegiate Press National College Media Convention held in Louisville, KY, Oct. 25-28.

The newspaper was honored a Pacemaker Finalist, one of approximately 30 finalists nationwide and one of three community college newspapers to receive this recognition.

The Pacemaker award is considered the Pulitzer Prize of college media. A panel of judges spent three days reviewing five issues of each publication entered in the contest, and selected publications they considered to be trendsetters for the rest of the nation.

Former design director Alexandra Christensen won first place in design of the year competition, winning the single page design category. Bernadette Witzack placed fourth in advertisement of the year’s display advertisement category.

The Clarion placed fifth in the best of show competition special edition category, winning for the recently published Oct. 24 election section. The newspaper also placed seventh in the best of show competition for two-year school newspapers.

Editor in Chief Andrew Kicmol earned an eighth-place award in the best of show competition multimedia category for a package he put together about the Wolves Share resource fair. He was the only student from a two-year college to be recognized in this competition. You can view his entry here.

Finally, the Yahara Journal finished eighth in the best of show competition for literary magazines. It is the third time in the last four years that the Yahara Journal has placed in that competition.

• Clarion earns national recognition at conference

News

Health Fair at Madison College

• News

Candidate deadline for Senate now March 15

News

Being busy is a way of life for Phi Theta Kappa leader

• News

Black Student Union strives to make all voices heard

• News

The Occupy Madison Village consists of 5 Tiny Homes

• News

CAMPUS UPDATES

News

Public Safety

News

Off The Shelf

News

Social Change Forum

News

Course teaches students to master their mindset, be happy

The news site of Madison Area Technical College