The Clarion

Clarion earns national recognition at conference

The Clarion received seven awards at the Associated Collegiate Press National College Media Convention. Pictured, from left, are staff members Damara Gillett, Alexandra Christensen, Andrew Kicmol and Joe Craker.

Clarion Staff

The Clarion received seven national awards at the Associated Collegiate Press National College Media Convention held in Louisville, KY, Oct. 25-28.

The newspaper was honored a Pacemaker Finalist, one of approximately 30 finalists nationwide and one of three community college newspapers to receive this recognition.

The Pacemaker award is considered the Pulitzer Prize of college media. A panel of judges spent three days reviewing five issues of each publication entered in the contest, and selected publications they considered to be trendsetters for the rest of the nation.

Former design director Alexandra Christensen won first place in design of the year competition, winning the single page design category. Bernadette Witzack placed forth in advertisement of the year’s display advertisement category.

The Clarion placed fifth in the best of show competition special edition category, winning for the recently published Oct. 24 election section. The newspaper also placed seventh in the best of show competition for two-year school newspapers.

Editor in Chief Andrew Kicmol earned an eighth-place award in the best of show competition multimedia category for a package he put together about the Wolves Share resource fair. He was the only student from a two-year college to be recognized in this competition. You can view his entry here.

Finally, the Yahara Journal finished eighth in the best of show competition for literary magazines. It is the third time in the last four years that the Yahara Journal has placed in that competition.

• Clarion earns national recognition at conference

News

Instructor shares experiences working at Antarctic station

News

Filament Games looks for ways to turn learning into play

• News

‘Limbpossible’ founder shares his success story

• News

College’s latest security report is now available

• News

Learning to be confident in salary talks

News

WOLFPACK CONNECT

News

Vote for Our Lives Tour

News

OFF THE SHELF

News

PUBLIC SAFETY

News

A quick look at Wisconsin’s U.S. Senate race

The news site of Madison Area Technical College