On a mission to empower others

TESSA MORHARDT / CLARION

The League of Women Voters and other organizations have conducted voter registration drives at the Madison College Truax Campus to help students prepare for the upcoming election.

Paula Jean Tauri, Contributor

Recently, The League of Women Voters visited Madison College to help students become more informed voters and to conduct a voter registration drive.

They have also reached out to potential student voters with a presence at places like the Saturday morning Farmers Market on the Capitol Square in downtown Madison.

A representative of the League of Women Voters recently cleared up a misconception about updating address changes. Even if one updates her address through the Department of Motor Vehicles, that does not mean it updated for one’s voter registration address, it doesn’t. To update a change of address, go to Myvote.wi.gov

The League of Women Voters was formed in 1920 when the rights of women to vote was sanctioned on Aug 18, 1920. The League of Women Voters organization is a combined effort of the founders Emma Smith DeVoe and Carrie Chapman Catt of the National Council of Women Voters and National American Woman Suffrage Association, respectively.  The mission is to empower. 

The group organized to support women rights and responsibilities as voters and providing information on candidates in races on the county, city, state, and national level in all political parties. There are over 1,000 local and 50 state leagues including the territory in the U.S. Virgin Islands. 

Although the League of Women Voters is non-partisan and doesn’t support any candidates from any political party, it does have progressive public policies supporting: campaign finance reform, universal health care and abortion rights. The group opposes voter ID laws and the death penalty. It also calls for climate change action, gun violence prevention, and adherence to the Clean Air Act.

Historically, the League of Women Voters supports equality in education and employment, publishes The National Voter magazine, supports the United Nations and the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund, and Equal Rights Equal Amendment, to name a few.

Originally a platform for women’s place in government the League’s national rules were amended in 1974 to allow men to become full voting members.

In 1993, the League of Women Voters joined other voting rights organizations  to push both houses of Congress to support voter registration reform legislation allowing citizens to register to vote at the motor vehicle department, by mail, and public and private organizations that serve the public.

The League of Women Voters stands alone as one of the longest running volunteer organizations serving millions of women to have a voice and participate in politics and government.

“Many organizations have single issues or goals, but no other organization that I’ve seen has the opportunity to be involved in so many issues or such long-term goals as voter education and registration,” wrote league member Barbara Mortensen in a welcome message to the League of Women Voters-Dane County website. Mortensen was reflecting on her experience in the league.

One of the most valuable resources the League of Women Voters Wisconsin web site offers offers is a “Candidates’ Answers” section. It can be found at: https://www.lwv.org/local-leagues/lwv-wisconsin.