Learning a skill needed to help save a life

Tara Olivia Martens, Staff Writer

No one expects to be put into a life or death situation, but if it were to happen, CPR is a tool that has the potential to save your loved ones.

Madison College students have the opportunity learn CPR at the “Pay It Forward” event taking place Tuesday April 24 from 10 a.m.-12 p.m. in the Atrium Café. 

The main purposes of the event is to educate the audience on how to administer CPR. CPR is a combination of steps someone can use to resuscitate a person whose heart is not beating.

CPR is commonly required in the training of many industries, such as health care, hospitality, and childcare.

Madison College instructor Jewel Rockwell describes CPR as “a relevant skill to use.” CPR training prepares people for extreme situations that usually elicit panic. Additionally, it isn’t hard to learn. Rockwell describes CPR as having two hands on the chest, moving up and down roughly at the rhythm of the Bee Gee’s “Staying Alive.” Rockwell said each push should be about two inches deep.

CPR instructor James Pearson claims that only 10 percent of people survive despite receiving CPR, but that is still a better chance of survival than if nobody administers CPR in the first place.

The event is also aimed at promoting “Be The Match,” the national registry that matches bone marrow donors with recipients. Giving someone a second chance at life can begin with a simple cheek swab.

Most people would never want to be in a situation where they need to use CPR, but the “Pay it Forward” event will provide one of the basic skills needed to save a life.