Next senate president to focus on resources for students

Adrienne Oliva, Editor in Chief

Steven Ansorge is passionate about cultivating an equitable environment at Madison College that helps all students succeed.

Ansorge aspires for all students at Madison College have the resources they need to “learn how to get to where they want to be.”

“This college lays the foundation of wherever (students) are going to be going,” explained Ansorge.
As the newly elected Student Senate president of the 2018-2019 school year, Ansorge intends on creating this type of environment by addressing hunger and homelessness, working towards textbook affordability, and improving academic advising.

“I want to see all students have access to the resources that they need and know where to find them,” said Ansorge. “I don’t want people to be hungry and suffering in class. I don’t want them to paying exuberant amounts of money for books they won’t necessarily use after these three months.”

“I want students to feel like this college values them as individuals, as students, as citizens. I want them to feel like they are welcome, that this place is inclusive, safe, in all the ways possible,” explained Ansorge.

Ansorge believes that focusing on those three initiatives is vital because they collectively impact all students at Madison College.

“I am affected by them, you are affected by them, we are all students here, we are all affected by these things, so we need to talk about these issues and address them in a positive, healthy manner.”

As president, Ansorge plans to ardently acknowledge these three main concerns.

“There are issues that need to be addressed, and I feel like I can address them well in this college,” explained Ansorge.

Part of what makes Ansorge equipped to address these issues is his own personal experience with them. As a person who experiences food insecurity, Ansorge can closely empathize with other students who struggle financially.

“Being a student is not an easy financial task. There is a lot of work that has to be put into that before we even get to our classroom. I understand that.”

Though Steven Ansorge is excited to be the voice of the students at Madison College, he knows that it takes more than one person to make a difference, which is why the first thing Ansorge plans to do with his presidency is appoint his team members on senate.

“There needs to be more than just me representing the students. I may be the first citizen of this college, but I am not the only voice or the only leader here.”

Above all, Ansorge believes that communicating closely with the student body as a whole will help create change within the college.

“The door to the senate office will always be open,” explained Ansorge. “I don’t want to be separated from the student body. We are all in this together.”