Senate seeks candidates for the 2018-19 academic year

Adrienne Oliva, Editor in Chief

Student senate is seeking candidates for senators and their next president for the 2018-2019 school year.

According to the current Student Senate President, Tina Marshalek, joining student senate is a way for students on the Madison College campus to represent the things they believe in.

“The student senate is the representative group of students at Madison College, so this is really a good opportunity for people to advocate for social change within the college.”

Marshalak appreciates the platform she has as student senate president in terms of affecting change in the college.

“I really appreciated the opportunity to direct the student hunger survey last semester, and initiate that discussion about student hunger at Madison College, and what it really looks like,” explained Marshalak.

In terms of both student hunger and textbook affordability, Marshalak is most proud of her work she has done in the college for students of a low socioeconomic background.

In addition to affecting change in the college, Marshalak also believes that joining student senate is a good way to become connected to the Madison College campus.

“We hear a lot from students that they want to have more of a culture of engagement and involvement, because we don’t have really have that in our classrooms as much as maybe other schools do, so being involved in senate is a great way to meet other people and to talk to people about what you care about at this college.”

Though being on student senate has its advantages, Marshalak acknowledges that being a senator isn’t always easy.

“It’s not easy being a student leader, and also being a student, and also raising a family, and also having sometimes a full time job, and sometimes a part time job. People have a lot of different things they are juggling in their lives in general, and students (do) in particular.”

Despite the challenges, Marshalak thinks the experience gained on student senate is worth overcoming hurdles.

“There are so many opportunities beyond what you could ever imagined that you just don’t figure out until they happen. Things happen in this college and you have to create solutions for them that specifically involve students, and will affect students.”

Those interested in becoming a senator can visit madisoncollegesenate.org, or visit the student senate office in student life in room E1260H.