All eyes were on the skies for the eclipse

Adrienne Oliva / Clarion

Students gaze at the solar eclipse on Aug. 21 outside the Truax Campus Gateway.

Adrienne Oliva, Editor in Chief

While the Solar Eclipse came to its finale on Aug. 21 at 1:30 p.m., a watcher amongst the crowd observing the natural phenomenon had to admit “80 percent felt like it would be a lot more.”

Even though the moon’s coverage over the sun in this area of the U.S. was only 80 percent, it appeared that 100 percent of the community on campus that day was abuzz about the eclipse.

Chatter about the event was unavoidable, even during a brisk walk down the Truax campus hallway. The constant question, “Did you see it?” could be heard multiple times while others compared different methods they used to view the eclipse. One staff member even described using welding shields to watch the eclipse safely.

And while the majority of Madison College community members didn’t have welding shields, members of the campus community helped each other out by sharing their eclipse glasses. A boy in the hall way with eclipse glasses in hand even ran up to one of Madison College’s Public Safety officers to make sure that he had the chance to witness the eclipse.

Luckily the sharing of glasses made it possible for most people interested in viewing the event to be able to see it.

For many who were excited to view the natural occurrence, the eclipse didn’t disappoint. Student Lilly Zamudio exuberantly described the eclipse as “so fricking cool.” Even though fellow student Ciara Thorns expected it to be darker out during the eclipse, she was still happy to have a chance to borrow someone’s glasses to watch the sky.

“Once in and a lifetime,” is another way Zamudio described the eclipse, and why it was so special. There is some truth to that, as the next solar eclipse that can be seen in the continental U.S. won’t happen until 2024, according to CNN. Its rarity seems to add to its mystic and beauty to those hoping to observe the phenomenon.

“It’s cool that something that happens naturally becomes so beautiful and extraordinary,” said student Elise Jackson.

This sentiment that Jackson shared about the eclipse seemed to be an idea shared by the whole community on Aug. 21. People came together, bonded, and met new people just to share the experience of the solar eclipse.