Fishing for a way to treat seasonal affective disorder

Thomas Tschillard, Staff Writer

Though freezing temperatures are unpleasant for nearly everyone, some people face a harsher side effect of the wintry weather than an everyday cold or a rising heat bill: seasonal affective disorder.

Seasonal affective disorder, or seasonal depression, is characterized by ongoing depression throughout the winter season, and “remission” of the depression during the summer season. Seasonal affective disorder symptoms include weight gain and carbohydrate cravings, resulting from “neurochemical and circadian rhythm abnormalities.”

Besides just feeling “blue” when the weather is cold, those affected by seasonal affective disorder become withdrawn, exhausted and irritable due to weather change.

According to a study conducted by Jennine Rawana and Sara Kohut, 60 to 90 percent of adolescents have “varying energy level, mood, sleep and social activity” during the winter months. In addition, their study indicated that up to 20 percent of adults experience depression-like symptoms during the winter months, with less than one percent experiencing the same symptoms during the summer season.

Mitch Britton, a student at Madison College, says he experiences seasonal affective disorder first hand. “I am always exhausted and want to nap,” Britton says. “I like the curtains closed and have frequent headaches.”

In order to keep himself occupied during the winter season, Britton says he likes to do crafts, such as crocheting, to keep him active. When he’s too overcome to keep moving, Britton says he likes to cuddle with his dogs.

To combat seasonal affective disorder, experts suggest such techniques as bright light therapy or anti-depressant prescriptions. If those tactics seem too severe, an easy alternative treatment is simple: exercise and healthy eating habits.

“I try to remind students not to forget the importance of physical health in times of stress or depression,” says Kelly Fischer, an instructor of psychological science. “Physical activities like recreational sports or exercise classes, or swimming are great ways to help manage anxiety and depression.”

In addition to maintaining a healthy lifestyle, Fischer stresses the importance of not sweating the little things. Stating that most students who struggle with seasonal affective disorder may also struggle heavily with anxiety, she says prioritizing is important. She suggests that instead of creating a list about future plans, students should make a list of all the places they do not wish to be five years down the line.

Seasonal affective disorder may be in full swing for many who are affected by it, but opportunities to treat the disorder are plentiful and easier than one may assume. Generally speaking, normal anxiety and relaxation tips may be able to help those who are battling symptoms similar to those of seasonal affective disorder.

Though the struggle may be at its peak during this time, the brighter note for many struggling with seasonal affective disorder is that it is strictly seasonal.

When Wisconsin finally experiences its bout with warmth and sunshine, many affected will finally feel at ease once more.