Veterans Club offers support

Alyssa Washington, Staff Writer

The Veterans Club mission is to provide a place for veterans to transition to civilian life, create friendships and to build a strong community among veterans. Along with coffee, the club also offers fun activities and service projects.

The veterans’ service space is located on the second floor in room A2039. Veterans and the families of veterans are welcome to join. The advisor is John D. Boyne. He has been a part of the club for three years.

Boyne enjoys getting to know the students and learning more about their experiences and leadership skills. Boyne is looking forward to many visitors and members alike, participating in some of the club’s upcoming events. He hopes veterans will use the office space frequently.

Justin Rivait, a Veterans Club member since last semester, appreciates the social networking and connections with other veterans.

Mark Dunn also joined the Veterans Club this year. Mark met them at a booth during Madison College’s WolfPack Welcome. He appreciates the social interactions, the comfortable environment, and that veterans can just say whatever is on their mind.

Mark was reluctant to join at first, due to the Veterans Club lack of office space. Now that the Veterans Club has an office space, he feels like he and others can relax.

Sherri Barrett, a member of two years, likes the club because it’s a great place to meet other veterans. Sherri believes it is vital for veterans to join the club, because it can be a great place to help veterans in transition to civilian life.

On Oct. 24, the Veterans Club will be volunteering in the Madison Area Homeless Veterans Stand Down, which will be held at the National Guard Armory, 1420 Wright St. Volunteers are needed.

Visit the Facebook page: Madison Area Homeless Veterans Stand Down or standdownmadison.org.

Veterans Week activities in November have not yet been set. Veterans Day is on Wednesday, Nov. 11.