Free income tax filing assistance available

Mike Alexander, Copy Editor

Wednesday, April 15, marks the official IRS deadline to finish filing taxes. But if you haven’t had time to file, or have not gotten around to it, a free tax preparation service at Madison College can help.

Preparers in the accounting lab here at the Truax campus can provide tax assistance free for all Madison College students. The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program (VITA) offers basic income tax assistance and is headed by William Padley, an instructor here on campus.

This is the seventh year the VITA program has helped students prepare state and federal income taxes free of charge and has gotten positive feedback over those years. Having tax returns prepared by a knowledgeable professional makes it a quick process.

This is the first year a penalty is given to taxpayers who do not have health insurance coverage which, along with other laws, pose a challenge when filing.

“Generally taxpayers who do their own returns (including students and everyone else) will make mathematical errors, transposition errors, and miss deductions they are entitled to but do not know about,” said Padley.

“In my opinion, this is a win-win situation.  We are having Madison College students prepare tax returns for their fellow Madison College students.
Student preparers are gaining valuable real life experience doing income tax returns while at the same time providing a valuable service to the college community.”

The VITA program preparers are in the accounting room once a week to help file taxes. To schedule an appointment, either call (608)-243-4310 or stop into Truax campus room E3849.

The Accounting Lab is open Monday through Thursday from 9:30 a.m. to 5:30p.m. and Administrative Lead Ross Silburn, Student Liaison Justin Schober or Faculty Liaison Joanne Dischler can help you make an appointment.