Volunteer Fair shows how you can help

Alison Malek, Staff Writer

The Volunteer Center held a Volunteer Fair in the Student Lounge on Jan. 28 from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Once a semester, the Volunteer Center has brought in representatives from many different types of non-profit organizations. This semester, 23 representatives attended the fair.

“We want to get college kids involved in a club, and offer the opportunity to give back to the community,” said Gloria Stendel, the Recruitment and Communications Coordinator for the Volunteer Center.

One of the programs, Schools of Hope, allows you to tutor students in the Madison Metropolitan School District, which covers grades K-12.

Another popular opportunity, AIESEC Madison, actually allows students to volunteer or work abroad. The cost is only about $500.00 and you get to teach English to people in another country.

Other service agencies at the Volunteer Fair included Madison-Area Urban Ministry, Rainbow and Heartland Hospice Cares, Easter Seals Wisconsin Camps, Madison Science Museum, and many, many more.

Along with all of these organizations, Madison College also has a partnership with the AmeriCorps Foundation. Stendel has also had an opportunity to participate in this program.

“I joined the Volunteer Center last year, and got the 2-1-1 United Way AmeriCorps internship,” Stendel said.  “They even give you a stipend of $1,493.00, which is enough to pay for about three classes.”

There are currently five AmeriCorps Internships offered to Madison College students; 2-1-1 United Way, South Madison Coalition of the Elderly, Second Harvest Food bank, the Catholic Multicultural Center, and the Urban League of Greater Madison. For more information you can contact Jennifer Edens through Student Life.

If you are looking for a way to get involved in the student, campus life or an opportunity to serve others, come to the Volunteer Center’s monthly meeting. The next meeting is Feb. 10 from noon to 1 p.m. in Truax Room C1435. Pizza will be provided.

After the meeting, students will have a chance to assist with a service opportunity with Kindred Kids running from 1-3 p.m.