‘Getting to Yes’ teaches problem solving skills

Isaac Brown, Staff Writer

When I first read the cover, I dreamt of what I could do with the power of persuasion.  Expecting to uncover psychological loopholes that leave people vulnerable to manipulation, as I began reading I vowed to only use my new found abilities for good. I quickly learned this was not that kind of book.

“Getting to Yes” lays out a foundation for genuinely respectful negotiation known as Interest Based Problem Solving (IBPS). Because of the considerate techniques used, negotiations are no longer conflicts.  They become opportunities for collaborating to create joint solutions.

When asked how reading this book will help students, IBPS fellow Michael McDaniel answered, “’Reading Getting to Yes’ will help students gain a deeper understanding of the concepts behind Interest Based Problem Solving. The book will help students understand the framework for how Madison College makes the decisions that impact their lives as students.”

McDaniel is one of the Part-Time Faculty working in the IBPS office.

He described the book as being “very straightforward, neat and concise,” and being “very clear in its explanation of the step-by-step method of principled negotiation.”

When asked what changes he sees in himself after reading the book, McDaniel said, “I have become more aware of how I interact with people in my workplace, at home or even just going about my daily routine. I hope I’ve become a better listener.”

He explained the main points he would like students to take away from the book.

“I hope that students will see how much Madison College values their input and the potential impact of Interest Based Problem Solving in changing the culture of our College,” said McDaniel.  “Students have a vital role to play in helping the College make historic decisions that will affect our futures. “Getting to Yes” provides students with an opportunity to understand how they may enact meaningful change here at the college and elsewhere in their lives.”

McDaniel will be hosting on-campus discussions, and wants students to “take part in open-ended, critically-engaging discussions of the book.”

“If people cannot attend a scheduled discussion session we encourage them to pick up some copies of the book and start their own discussion groups, large or small, on or off campus,” said McDaniel.  “Applying the concepts in “Getting to Yes” allows us to improve our relationships with others and to resolve conflicts…”

The book is being made available to all Madison College students at no cost.  Copies will be handed out at the discussion sessions.  You can visit the Truax IBPS office A2039 to pick up a copy or to find out more about the discussions.  If you would rather listen to the book, the library has an audio version available.