College president sets open office hours

Daniels wants to hear from students and staff

Nicolas LaMorte, Opinion Editor

Experience and history. That’s what led Madison College president Dr. Jack E. Daniels to his decision to hold open office hours.

With more than 30 years under his belt in the world of education, and nearly 10 as a community college president, Daniels knew this would be an important step in his leadership here.

”I’ve always done it,” he said. “It’s an opportunity for individuals– and that’s anybody; it could be faculty, staff, students – to actually spend some time with me, albeit it short.”

Maintaining transparency is important to Daniels and opening up lines of communication.

“It’s about how we connect … I often find that just walking around campuses, just talking to people informally, you learn a lot about the institution, what’s happening in the classroom. What are some of the issues that students and staff have?” he said.

What about those students who may feel too intimidated to utilize the open hours?

“It’s not an environment in which we want to have students fearful of faculty or of staff, and definitely not of our administrators,” Daniels said.

“I look at administrators as support mechanisms; we have to support instruction, we support student services and we support students.”

Getting that message across is important for there to be a level of comfortability.

“I just think of it as a conversation,” Daniels obliged.

Recently a story was published in The Clarion featured a story on problems transgendered students face and the actions our school should take to solve them. Is there anything too controversial to bring to him?

“I’m not afraid of controversy,” he admitted, adding “controversy is a way to grow.”

Daniels sees the diverse and complex nature of the student body, their needs en route to success, and recognizes the success and outcomes we achieve.

“They could … talk to me  about the joys and celebrations that they have as well,” he said.