Homemade mac and cheese is an efficient, delicious entrée

Hailey Griffin, Arts Editor

As college students, we’re always looking for the next best meal that is not only affordable, but also efficient. We know firsthand how difficult it is to find a food outside of the Ramen noodle or Kraft mac and cheese realm that fits into each of those categories.

But by God, my friends, I think I’ve been able to do just that. Ever since I found this homemade mac and cheese recipe, I haven’t even thought to touch one of those little blue Kraft boxes.

With only a 15-minute preparation time, I was surprised about how great this stuff tasted. Then again, it involves cheddar cheese, so I have no idea how I could have thought such a thing wouldn’t be absolutely spectacular.

The only kitchen utensils that you’ll need for this recipe are a medium-sized pot, a few measuring cups, a whisk, a bowl and a spoon. Once you have those laid out in front of you, you can refer to this simple list of ingredients.

Ingredients:

Two tablespoons butter

Two tablespoons flour

One-half teaspoon salt

One-fourth teaspoon garlic powder

One cup whole milk

One-fourth cup sour cream

Two cups shredded cheddar cheese

Noodles

You’ll want to start by mixing your flour, salt and garlic powder in a separate bowl. After you do this, start melting your butter in the medium-sized pot. Once the butter is melted, add the flour, salt and garlic powder mixture to the butter and stir.

Once the mixture has been cooked on low heat for about a minute, add the cup of milk to the pot. Mix the milk in with the mixture until it becomes smooth; once it becomes smooth, add your sour cream. Then, leave the new mixture on low heat for about 3 minutes until it becomes thicker.

Once it’s reached maximum thickness, you can add your cheese into the mix. While all of this takes place, you’ll want to have started cooking your noodles so that they’re done by the time that the cheese mixture is complete.

After you’ve completed these tasks, the last thing you have to do is mix the noodles into the cheese, grab yourself a bowl and load that thing to the brim. Trust me; even after a full bowl, you’ll want to come back for seconds. I guarantee it.

*Side note: If you want to get creative with it and add a little flair to your homemade mac and cheese, include either green onion, barbecue sauce, ketchup, chicken or shredded pork.