COVID Cooking for College Students 

Cassandra Cullen , Radio Production Manager

College can be hard. Whether you’re a full-time or part-time student with a joball your energy is going into homework and finding time for your online classes. That means you can’t head to the cafeteria and get those great chicken tenders with a side of ranch for lunch. Instead, you’re probably eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for the third time in a row this week. 

I have made a simple recipe that is perfect for any college student. It is made with cheap ingredients, yet its bursting with flavor and the best part is, no actual cooking is necessary. Plus, it lasts for up to four days. 

Chicken Salad 

This recipe is made with rotisserie chicken you can find at your go-to grocery store. However, if you don’t like pulling apart a whole chicken, it may not be for you.  

What you need:  

One rotisserie chicken 

Half an avocado 

Handful of red grapes cut in half 

Small handful of sweet dried cranberries or raisins 

Half a cup of mayo 

One tablespoon Dijon mustard 

One celery stalk – chopped into small pieces 

Lime juice 

Salt and pepper to taste 

How to make it: 

Pull apart the rotisserie chicken and get rid of all the bones and skin. Make sure it looks sort of like pulled pork and set it into mediumsized bowl. Chop the celery into small pieces; they are used for a nice crunch, not the bland flavor. Add them to the bowl as well.  

Next, add the grape halves and the handful of dried fruit. Mix in the mayo and mustard; Dijon adds a tangy taste. Once you mix those ingredients together in the bowl, add the avocado to give the dish a healthycreamy textureSqueeze some lime juice in it so it doesn’t turn brown. Make sure the avocado is all the way mashed into the mixture.  

The next and final step is to add salt and pepper to taste. The best way to do this is to add a bit at a time and taste after each pour. You can always add salt and pepper to it, but you can’t take them away. Overly salty food isn’t the best tasting. You’re welcome to enjoy right away, or you can let it sit in the fridge, covered until you are ready to eat. 

If you don’t like some of the ingredientsyou are welcome to exchange them for something else. The great thing about chicken salad is it can be changed slightly and still taste good. Every palate is different.