‘Alice in Slasherland’ is an action-packed horror play

Mandy Scheuer, Arts Editor

When I went to the second showing of “Alice in Slasherland” last Saturday night, I was very impressed with how well the crew and actors portrayed the play by Qui Nguyen.

I loved how dark the play was. I had to show my ID to get in, since the play was rated R. I honestly can say that I have never seen an R rated play until this past Saturday night.

If the creepy girl from “The Ring” fought the masked killer from a slasher film, who would win? Why do people who run from demons and zombies always seem to find a random pile of guns?

If any of these questions seem remotely relevant to your life, then you might be part of the target audience for “Alice in Slasherland.”

A jokey, action-packed horror play that continues the company’s exploration of pop culture genres. Mashing up stories about Satan’s emissaries’ crashing a high school party and a teddy bear that talks like Samuel L. Jackson with various horror films, this sly, self-referential comedy will make some theatregoers chuckle. For those who don’t get the jokes, there are also lots of fighting.

The nerd hero, Luis was blessed with a very funny introductory video called “The Devil’s Usher.” The director, Anna K. Freudenberg, aimed at those with attention deficit disorder, so much less care is paid to sense and pacing and language than to elaborate visual gags and mock-earnest banter.

The cultural references range over decades (including ones like ”Star Wars” and Bon Jovi), but the roots can be traced to the early and mid-’90s. You can detect the knowing manic humour of “The Simpsons” and “Scream” in some bits.

When Lewis discovers that the ominous longhaired girl who has saved his life is named Alice, he thinks out loud about the literary consequences of names.

“It’s like the story ‘Alice in Wonderland,” he says, before backtracking absurdly. “Which this situation actually doesn’t resemble at all.”

The play ends – wait, why am I telling you the ending? I would be spoiling the play for those who did not see it. If you want to know how the play ends, just google “Alice in Slasherland Qui Nguyen” and you will find numerous summaries and reviews of this spooky, yet hilarious play.

But be warned: some of the reviews may be the devil’s work, since they give out spoilers here and there without any warning.