‘American Vandal’ gets even better in season 2

Matt Withers, Arts Editor

“American Vandal” is such a weird and wonderful mockumentary, that I never expected to see a season two. How could they even make another season? Would we get new characters or keep following the story of Dylan Maxwell and his infamous drawings. Imagine my surprise when I found that “American Vandal” season two surpasses the first in almost every regard.

Mockumentaries like “American Vandal” are parodies of documentaries, usually taking a surreal and ridiculous subject and treating it with deadly seriousness. The first season did this perfectly, taking the premise of a kid getting in trouble for drawing genitalia on teachers’ cars and using it to examine the characters involved.

Season two works under the premise that season one was actually put on Netflix. Peter (played by Tyler Alverez) and his camera man, Sam (played by Griffin Gluck), who made the documentary, are famous and looking for their next case. Peter is drawn to a prestigious high school where someone put laxatives into the school’s lemonade, causing the whole school to… well you know what laxatives do. The event is called the “Brownout,” and an innocent student is framed.

Season two gives us the case of Kevin McClain. Kevin is a social outcast. He only really has two friends, and even they are quickly annoyed by him. The assumption is that he did it to get back at people for bullying him, but there are many things that don’t add up.

The performances are once again top notch. The cast is made up of unknown actors, and each of them give realistic performances of high school kids being terrorized by a laxative based villain. Travis Tope, who plays Kevin, brings an awkwardness to the character that is believeable.

The reason “American Vandal” season two is better than the first is the message it conveys about media presence and the masks we wear to protect ourselves. I don’t want to spoil the ending, but it goes from a silly show about people pooping themselves into an actual tragedy.