Pow wow is a celebration of culture

Bailey Ayres, Sports Editor

On May 5, the annual Madison College Pow Wow will be happening all day. With doors opening at 11 a.m. and will be finishing up around 10 or 11 p.m.

There will be a $5 admission at the door, but children five and under, and also elders who are 55 years-old or older are able to attend for free. It will be held in the H. Douglas Redsten Gymnasium. Anyone is welcome. Come and enjoy, and good food, including Indian tacos!

During the pow wow there will be two grand entries. The first one will be around 1 p.m., and the second one (which is much larger) will be at 7 p.m. There will be a traditional feast for everyone at 5 p.m.

The Native American Student Association (NASA) is helping put on the annual Pow wow. They will assist with the Indian Taco stand and in other places during the event.

“It’s like a family reunion, it’s seeing people you get to see once a year. Make sure everybody is doing OK. We all survived the winter, and here we are back in the spring to be happy and dance,” said Marty Richards, the faculty advisor for the NASA.

“What a spectacle when you are in a place where the native community is gathered together and celebrating, and having a great time. It’s powerful,” she said.

Attendees can experience the Native American culture through song, dance, artwork, food, and stories.

“I believe it’s important to have the pow wow because it is a great part of our tradition, and is a way we share our song and dance,” said Trey Osborne, one of the student members of NASA. “It’s cool to see the different dances.”
By going, you will also be helping the community.

“You are supporting the local economy and local artists, you are buying authentic native crafts,” said Mary Ann Wildcat, another NASA student member.

While the pow wow is happening during the weekend between last week of classes and finals, it’s a good study break.

“What a nice break from their routine to come in to see the color and the movement. Hear the drum, feel the drum. Taste some excellent, excellent traditional food. If that does not re-energize your brain, I don’t know what will,” said Richards.

“People should come to this event because it is a rare thing to see the native community in all one place. This a wonderful way to learn about native culture,” said Richards. “Here we sit on Ho-Chunk land and this is one way we can pay a little respect and honor to those who came before us.”