Tour the city’s best taco hotspots

Tiffany Jones, Staff Writer

Students who are trying to stretch their food dollars should consider trying a tour of some of the taco hotspots in the city. Here are four restaurants that offer super affordable taco specials.

BelAir Cantina

This Mexican fusion restaurant combines the fresh flavors of California and the vibrant flavors of Mexican cuisine. BelAir is a newly opened modern, downtown hotspot. With its vast menu it’s sure to have something for everyone. On a budget? Stop in on Tuesdays and Thursdays for $2 taco night. You surely won’t be disappointed.

The Ohio Tavern

The newly redone Ohio Tavern is a hidden gem among the rest on Madison’s East side. Dim and divey complete with jukebox music, classic old movies playing in the background, regulars that look like they haven’t moved from their chairs in years…this bar is a spectacle.
The bar opens at 2 p.m. and tacos start at 4 p.m. These are tacos you don’t want to miss. Given the monstrosity of these tacos, three for $11 is a steal. It’s super divey, super quirky and super good.

El Grito Taqueria

Two words: food truck. These guys crank out some delicious tacos all over Madison’s Isthmus. This go to hipster food truck typically offers three or four different selections of tacos at a time.

If you are looking for some quick tacos in a pinch or in passing on a night out, this staple food cart is established as a fan favorite. Make sure you get there early because they sell out fast!

La Hacienda

La Hacienda is the place to go for great food and a cultural escape. They offer classic options such as tacos, burritos, enchiladas, and tostadas that will in no way disappoint. This atmosphere is complete with friendly staff, authentic food, quick service, and has serving hours prolonged past bar time. What more could you ask for. Do I dare mention free chips and salsa?