Meet the descendants of Holmes and Watson

Allison Althof, Office Manager

Welcome to Sherringford, a prep school where the descendants of one of literature’s greatest crime fighters are currently enrolled and the setting for “A Study in Charlotte.” Over the years, Sherlock Holmes and Dr. John Watson have been used in a number of different entertainment platforms, even video games. But now it’s the kids’ turn to stir up some trouble.  

After receiving a rugby scholarship, Jamie Watson moves to Connecticut even though he does not want to be anywhere near his estranged father or Charlotte Holmes, granddaughter of the infamous Sherlock Holmes. His father is easy to avoid but it seems that fate has other plans for him when it comes to Holmes.

Soon after their first meeting, a student at Sherringford is murdered under circumstances that paint a giant target on the duo’s backs. Is it another student? A teacher? One of the descendants of James Moriarty, their ancestors’ arch foe? You can rest easy knowing that the newest generation of Holmes and Watson are on the case.

If you are a fan of the classic Sherlock Holmes stories, the Robert Downey Jr. films, or even the BBC series “Sherlock,” then you should run to the nearest bookstore for this book. University of Wisconsin graduate Brittany Cavallaro has created a truly wonderful story that still holds on to the genius of the original stories written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle while bringing in a fresh take on it.

The characters are a lot like their grandfathers as well as their own people, which makes them not only easy to relate to but you can keep them separate from the original. Carvallaro has brought in a number of elements from the original story as well without over shadowing her own characters.

The book is full of mystery while appealing to a younger generation of readers. “A Study in Charlotte” has the potential to have readers fall in love with Sherlock Holmes all over again.