African Art on display

Traditional and modern work featured in exhibition at both campus galleries

Alison Ahlgrim, News Editor

Strolling through Gallery 211, my eyes take in a wide variety of textures and colors. I marvel at the deep blue of cotton hand-dyed with indigo, the reddish-brown ancient clay, the palm fronds, elaborate wooden masks and sculptures. These beautiful visuals make up the “African Art: Traditional and Modern” exhibition currently on display at the Downtown Campus as well as The Gallery at Truax.

While the two galleries normally operate separately, the curators had enough pieces from this show to fill both galleries and decided that this exhibition would provide access to unique cultural pieces that are important for students to see.

The exhibition began to come together over a year ago at a “Curators Conversation” event where Gallery 211 Coordinator Sarah Stolte connected with private collector and conservator Donna Page about doing an exhibition beyond paint or photography. Page reached out to individual collectors to curate the pieces currently on exhibit.

One of the striking features of this particular exhibition is that it juxtaposes historical and modern pieces. Ancient clay masks and figurines stand tall amid prints with abstract scenes of the hustle and bustle of the modern world.

“Can’t miss” pieces include the ancient Nok figure as well as the Baga Bird Headdress, with both historical and cultural importance. I was particularly drawn to the Untitled Batik print, which is made through applying multiple layers of wax and dye to create unique shades and textures. The collection also features meticulous ink drawings, woven cloths, masks, sculptures, paintings, and everything in between. Some of these artifacts may even have been viewed by Pablo Picasso as he developed his signature cubist style.

As Stolte notes, “Private collections are interesting because they don’t often get public viewings beyond the immediate friends or relatives of the person who owns the pieces.”

While not directly correlated with Black History Month, the curators did take it into account when planning the exhibit. “It wasn’t exactly an African-American show, so we didn’t want to label it as such,” says Stolte. “I think it’s important to honor these national traditions and really, personally, I think we should celebrate diversity every day, not just specific months of the year.”

Stolte notes that while the gallery spaces often seek to highlight diversity in art, the gallery spaces also serve the important function of showcasing student work. While this particular exhibition does not house any student pieces, Stolte says, “I believe really strongly in gallery spaces and how they can be used pedagogically.” Most gallery exhibits on campus feature student work such as printmaking, photography, jewelry, and even essays on art history.

The “African Art” show will be on display until Feb. 23 at the Gallery 211 and through Feb. 9 at The Gallery at Truax.

Hours at Gallery 211 (located in Room D011) are Monday-Thursday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Fridays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. There will be a closing reception on Feb. 23 from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.

The Gallery at Truax (located in Room A1005) is open Monday 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., Tuesday 1 to 4 p.m., Wednesday and Friday 9 a.m.  to 5 p.m., and Thursday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

“I’m really excited that we were able to get this show put together. Students can walk just past the bookstore and see this eclectic exhibit,” says Stolte.