Studying in the land of saints and scholars

Marissa Miller

Carlow College began accepting students in 1793. It is located near the center of Carlow, a short distance from Carlow Castle.

Marissa Miller, Staff Writer

There are many things that we want to do in our lives that get set aside because they seem inconvenient or impractical. This is one reason that studying abroad did not happen for me until I stepped on a plane to Ireland more than a month ago. I am studying in Carlow, Ireland through Madison College and the Illinois Consortium for International Studies and Programs (ICISP). There are decisions in life that come and go that seem inconsequential and then there are decisions that change our lives forever. This is one such decision.

Carlow College is the oldest Catholic college in Ireland and opened its doors to students in 1793. The interior of the college is beautifully preserved and makes you feel like you’ve stepped back in time to when the college was first built to be a lay school and seminary. While the school itself resembles a country estate, the library connected to the college is a renovated chapel. The library is stunning, the ground floor is lined with stacks of books and the second floor has a computer and study area. There are beautiful stained glass windows, most of which are original to the building. I can take out a book from the stacks and then go up to the second level to study while looking at hundreds of years of history.

Studying abroad is more than just going to classes and taking exams, it is engaging in a new culture. ICISP and the faculty of Carlow College capture this to an art. The American students have an Irish Experience class that takes us on adventures across Ireland (included in the cost of tuition) and teaches us firsthand about the history and culture of Ireland. We are encouraged to go out and engage with the locals and have adventures, whether they be in Ireland or beyond. Along with the Irish Experience class, students get to choose three or four other classes they take with the Irish students.

I am into my third week of classes and it is amazing how much more you learn about a country when you discuss it with those who grew up there. There is a much deeper knowledge gained from listening to class discussions on the 1798 and 1916 rebellions or reading and discussing the poetry of Irish nationalists who wrote about how they felt in a time of oppression. The professors are open and welcoming and understand the American students’ occasional need for further explanation. The lectures are not only informative, but intriguing, and I have finally captured my love for learning again.

Ireland is a country that is as rich in beauty as it is in history and culture. I wake up every morning and look at the view from my window and feel privileged to have an opportunity to live and study here. To those of you considering a semester abroad: stop considering and just do it. It may never seem like the perfect time, or the cost may seem impractical, but from 3,658 miles away I can tell you that now is the perfect time.

Editors Note: Marissa’s blog from Ireland can be found at: veraciousvoyaging.wordpress.com/