Students react to election results: Surprise, concern felt after Trump victory

Sedgwick Smith, Staff Writer

Disbelief. Tears. Shock. Excitement. The emotions were high and scattered when Donald Trump was elected as the 45th President of the United States with 290 electoral votes. While the separation of emotions and opinions were at an all time high, liberals, conservatives, and third party voters all shared a common assessment and surprise: Most expected Trump to lose.

With strong stances on their preferred candidate, there is very apparent division in the responses of the Madison College students and staff. Many lost sleep to find out who was the candidate and felt the tension at school the next day, instructors even starting class late to talk about the election results beforehand. The results left many wondering what was next for the country and its citizens.

“Division…Lots of it,” said staff member Brenda Farrell. “He (Trump) polarized his party and 90 percent of it was just to rile people up.”

After finding out the election results, some students have shared their approaches regarding the future of America and it’s face.

“We have a businessman for a President,” said Christiam De La Calle, a transfer student. His friend, Mark Anthony, added: “There were too many silent voters. The decision was fair, but people lied about who they were voting for.”

While the people were in shock initially, most have accepted that the results were in favor of the people and the political system. This, however didn’t make it easier for many students to accept the results.

“It was fair, but I feel like bigotry, hatred and anger won,” said Madison College student Jnana Martins. “He (Trump) was no ordinary Republican. Most of his opinions were not respectable.”
While the power of the president isn’t what necessarily upset the students, the influence from his followers did spark concern. The number of violent protests since the election has increased as well, according to an article by Azadeh Ansari on CNN.

Madison College Student Senate President Alex Hipler offered his opinion about the next four years.

“I expected Trump to lose and the Senate to be Democratic,” Hipler said surprised. “Especially Wisconsin. There isn’t much concern from the government or Trump, but some have been emboldened by the rhetoric.

“Rural towns are much different than the inner cities, and not much has changed for them over the past eight years economically. He resonated with people. He wasn’t a politician,” Hipler continued.

“Trump wasn’t my first option, but this is a good step forward. Donald Trump wants less divisions. President Obama and Secretary Clinton both said it was time we give Donald Trump a chance. The name calling needs to stop and communication needs to start.”

Other students offered their input on the future as well.

“We cannot predict the next four years,” said Francois Mizero, a journalism major. “We can only control our influence and how we act towards others. As a school, it’s time we start appreciating students of color, international students, white students – everybody.”

“We need to stop blaming,” said Adrian Molitor. “We’re all playing on the same team, we don’t need a civil war, we have bigger problems to worry about,” he continued “He (Trump) needs to be a leader. The youth that will vote need to endorse more third parties and we need rural to meet city. It’s time to eliminate that fear.”

The next four years are in question, but the majority of students feel like it’s time to start focusing on the citizens and how the tension can be broken.