Madison College now allows preferred first name on records

Stephanie Riedel, News Editor

Madison College will now allow students to add a preferred first name to their student records.

To do so, students will need to fill out a “Name Change Request Form” (PDF, 787KB) and return it, preferably, in person to the enrollment center. As of this printing, the form was still forthcoming, but it should be available soon. You can request one in person at the enrollment center, or find it at madisoncollege.edu under the student records section.

It’s important to note there will be two name change forms available. The first, which is available now, is “Name Change Form” with the PDF number 782KB which is for those students looking to make a formal name change to their records. For example, students who are newly married with new last names, or those who have had formal, legal name changes granted to them by a judge. Students filling out that form will need to present certified documentation of that new name.

To add a name to your records, not change it altogether, the form is Name Change Request Form with a very similar PDF number of 787KB. It’ll take a little more vigilance on the student’s part to make sure they are filling out the correct form.

Once processed, student’s preferred name will show up in Outlook’s Global Address list, their email, teacher rosters and Blackboard.

The student’s official, or primary, name will still be on transcripts and admission communications among other more official things.

Students who will benefit from this vary. For some, they go by their middle name, not first. Others may be international students who wish to use an alternative name to the one they were given. This also benefits transgender students who have adopted new names as part of their transition.

The addition of this service was a response to students’ request for a more personable experience in the classroom and college.