Amanda Love ready for new challenges as Madison College’s Student Senate president

Amanda+Love

Nicholas Bargren

Amanda Love is Madison College’s Student Senate president for the upcomign school year.

Samantha McCoy, Staff Writer

Newly elected Student Senate President Amanda Love’s favorite part of being a member of Senate was getting to know people in new ways and bonding with them.

A member of the Student Senate since October 2014, Love met many people through her role as Community Services Chair. She researched and worked on a transportation plan to help students find new ways to get to campus through means such as carpooling, bus lines, and even bike rental.

In her new role as Student Senate president, Love will have the opportunity to meet many more people and have many more life changing experiences. As president, she will attend countless meetings with the Senate, Shared Government Assembly, Student Activity Board, as well as speak at small events – all the while attending classes at Madison College in the Liberal Arts Transfer Program and at UW Madison to major in Actuarial Science.

Even if it means having no free time, Love is ready to give it her all and make sure students have a voice.

This year, Love hopes to improve the transportation options and the parking lots, look into textbook costs, help students have a sense of belonging and involvement, find regional representatives, address housing concerns, and get student opinions on the futures of the Downtown campus and the South campus. Her biggest focus and concern is finding more members.
Love is hoping to find more students that want to join the Senate. She said it is an opportunity to practice leadership skills and a great experience for anyone who wants to go into business or government. She plans to strive to bring Student Senate out of the shadows and show students what is all about and what they can achieve as a team.

The more members the Student Senate has, the more work they can get done and make a change for the students and the school.

Meeting new friends is one of Love’s favorite perks about being a part of the senate. She even said, “Friends are what made the experience worth the while.” That’s what being a part of a student organization truly means.