Capitol Lakes DragonFest supports cancer survivors

Dragon boat competitors race during one of the recent events.

Dragon boat competitors race during one of the recent events. The next Dragon Fest event will be held on June 20 at Vilas Park on Lake Wingra.

David Feyen, Staff Writer

Do you know someone who has or had cancer? Cancer has affected people from all walks of life. It really doesn’t matter if you live the healthiest lifestyle; there is still a chance you could be diagnosed with cancer. However, there are ways to decrease your chances of cancer through diet and lifestyle choices. There are thousands of people that are battling cancer still, and those that have beaten cancer are known as “cancer survivors.”

At Madison College, students and staff are not strangers to cancer. It is known to take the lives of young and old, and there is no prejudice on its part. Graphic Design Instructor Pamela Cremer passed away from cancer in 2014 and Teresa Sprecher, the Program Director of Visual Communications on Madison College, is a cancer survivor.

Capital Lakes DragonFest is Madison’s Dragon Boat Festival presented by TEAMSurvivor Madison. This event is hosted to show support for all cancer survivors and everyone is invited to show their support for those battling these diseases.

Dragon Boating is the only internationally sanctioned sport that offers a “survivor” category for events that create a signature opportunity for survivors around the globe.

In 1995, Dr. Don McKenzie, a sports medicine physician in Canada, pioneered research that led to encouraging women with breast cancer to challenge themselves physically.  This ultimately led to the creation of Dragon Fest for cancer survivors. This event will be held on June 20 at Vilas Park (Lake Wingra).

If you want to start your own team, come out and enjoy the festivities or volunteer your time to this cause. All are welcome to this event. It is life changing for those that are affected by cancer.

For more information go to captiallakesdragonfest.com or feel free to contact Teresa Sprecher at [email protected] or call 608-234-1209.

Please invite friends and family and enjoy the day on the lake. This event is unlike anything you have ever seen before.  Please come out and show your support. Enjoy the festivities on the lake and raise awareness for cancer by celebrating the cancer survivors here in Madison. Don’t forget it is June 20 with the first race qualifier at 8:30 a.m.