Massage clinic helps soothe stressed students

Daniel Dieterich, Staff Writer

When you walk into the therapeutic massage center, you’re greeted by soothing serene sounds that are complemented by perfectly dim lighting. Earthy tones complete the ambiance and atmosphere of the waiting room, the environment is perfect for putting you in a relaxed and trusting mindset that’s conducive for a renewing rub down.

The receptionists initiate the experience with understanding, soft smiles, all the while doing their best to acclimate you to the process. Then, after your information is turned in and you return your flower pen to its vase, your therapist sweeps you off to their designated room.

They begin by explaining how your appointment should go (as mine did without a hitch), and then allow you a few moments to disrobe with extreme courtesy and respect for one’s personal space. On their return, they make sure all the correct adjustments have been made to the table on which you’re laying (in my case the headrest needed to be moved according to my neck alignments disposition to cooperation, and my therapist would stop at nothing till I was satisfied). Starting your massage with your chosen oil or cream if desired, gradually increasing in pressure to find your muscles goldilocks zone of responsiveness, your therapist works with great caution so they never cause you any discomfort whatsoever. The hour-long massage seemingly comes and goes within the blink of an eye due to the overall perfection of the visit. Though I suppose they say, time flies when you’re having fun for a reason.

At the end they give you a chance to get your bearings and clothes on while they get you as many little paper cups worth of water as your heart desires to help your muscles adjust to the renewal the visit provides. Once you are clothed, they explain their synthesis and interpretation of what your muscular issues are and how they recommend you go about treating them.

Afterward they send you on your way feeling as you did when you burst forth from your mother’s womb, blindly and innocently entering a world filled with promise. It is for this reason that I must personally thank Liz (or Elizabeth) for being one of my few caretakers as far as therapeutic massages go, and for bringing me to heaven, even for just a fleeting moment.

For more information, contact the clinic at (608) 258-2367, or give a look see to the massage clinic section of madisoncollege.edu.