Stay safe this Halloween, no matter how you choose to celebrate the season

Taleise Lawrence, Staff Writer

Leaves are changing color, pumpkin spice is in the air and the weather is cooling down. You know what that means: Halloween is almost here!  

Halloween is a very interesting holiday to me. There are such strong opinions on it. Some people love it, and go all out every single year. They decorate their yard with tombstones and spiderwebs.  

Other people can’t stand it. I’ve heard every reason, ranging from a simple, “it’s boring” all the way to “it celebrates Satan.” But enough about what other people think. What do I think about Halloween? 

There are a lot of things I like about the holiday.  Ever since I was a kid, I loved dressing up. My siblings and I played “dress up” almost every day. Now that I’m older, I still love it. 

Picking out what I want to dress up as and trying to find the clothes to make it work is so fun. You can do it with friends and make a group costume. You can do something simple, like going to Goodwill and buying a premade costume, or something more challenging like creating your own handmade outfit.  

I have mixed feelings about trick or treating. My family never celebrated Halloween when I was little. We would leave our house so no one would come by and ask for candy.  

So, while I’ve never personally been trick or treating, I’ve gone with my nieces and nephews before. It’s fun to see all the other kids out in their costumes, and getting free candy is always a win to me.  

There are some downsides to it, though. In late October, you never know what the weather will decide to do. Most often it seems like it’s freezing on Oct. 31. I hate standing outside in the cold, trying to get stubborn little kids to put on their jackets. I get it, you don’t want to cover your costume, but I don’t want you to get frostbite! It can be frustrating and stressful for parents and their kids.  

Additionally, you never know the type of people who will be giving out candy. My brother and his friends had their route down by the time they were freshmen in high school. 

They could tell you which houses had the big candy bars, which houses gave out apples and peanuts, and which ones had angry people to avoid. If you’re new to the area or don’t have years of experience, though, you might not have a great time trick or treating. 

Halloween can be a great time in the right atmosphere. I’d recommend celebrating it with friends and staying safe. Have a spooky and fun Oct. 31!