Wolfpack men tripped up by Milwaukee

Andrew Kicmol, Editor in Chief

January marked the start of conference play and the Madison College Men’s basketball team has gone 5-3 so far in conference and 11-9 overall. They currently sit at fourth place in the conference tied with Rock Valley College and behind second place MATC-Milwaukee (8-1) and first place Triton College (9-0).

In their game against Milwaukee Area Technical College on Jan. 23 the WolfPack lost 119-98. It’s the most points they have given up this year and the third time this season they have given up 100 points.

It’s also the most points they have given up since the 1995-96 season, along with the second game in a row they have given up 100 or more points. In every game this season that the WolfPack has given up 100 or more points they have lost.

In the game, the WolfPack shot 46 percent overall, but it couldn’t match up to Milwaukee’s 57 percent from the floor.

The ‘Pack fell behind early with a 25-12 run from Milwaukee that would lead to a 12 point deficit for the team. The second half saw more offense from the ‘Pack scoring 60 points but they also allowed Milwaukee to score 69 leading to another big loss.

Freshman Adam Anhold was the highest scorer for Madison with 26 points and the only one to score in the twenties.

Sophomore Nathaniel Buss lead the way with in three’s with his 4-5 shooting and 16 points in the game.

The next game was against conference basement team Joliet Junior College (0-8) on Jan. 25. And it was just what Madison needed to bounce back from it’s back to back losses of giving up 100 points or more. Madison took the lead early and won 92-56.

Two freshmen got their first careers started as head coach Jamal Palmer wanted some new life from his team. Mark Simmons, the Missouri native and Parker Sigmon, the Middleton Wisconsin native, scored 10 points combined in the starting debuts.

Anhold came off the bench and still ended up with the team lead in points with 16 while Buss was again able to hit three pointers. He went 3-8 from beyond the arc and had 13 points overall. Freshman Earl Lewis also scored in double digits with 12 points.

Up next for the WolfPack is the start of a multiple game homestand, starting with College of Dupage on Saturday Feb. 9, and then Monday Feb. 11 against Rock Valley College.