Top apps for students

Jacki Brickner, Opinion Editor

In today’s world, technology is the reigning king. From smartphones to tablets, you are never far away from resources, people and games. Technology permeates through every aspect of our lives from school to work to play. It even changes how we function on a societal level. So how does it change then college experience? Are there apps out there that are specifically designed to help you?

Apps and technology in general can greatly enhance the college experience. From learning a new language to managing your time or budget, the modern student now has unprecedented access to tools and resources that can help them succeed.

Here are the top three categories of apps I have found to be the most helpful:

1) School-Based apps

Blackboard, MyMadisonCollege, and the college’s Microsoft Outlook email are all great apps to utilize. Not only do all of them help keep what you need well organized, but they also enable you to have a direct line of communications to campus resources and instructors. You can download them from both the App Store and Google Play store.

2) Homework and time-management apps

MyHomework app and your calendar are vital resources that can help you manage your time wisely. Specifically, the MyHomework app lets you add and organize all your assignments in one place. It also reminds you periodically what is due and when.

3) Honorable Mentions

While not college necessities, I would be remis if I failed to mention two of my favorite apps “Stash” and “iHeartRadio”.

“Stash” is an investment app where you can invest small amounts of money into stocks or retirement. As it is never to early to start retirement saving, this app helps you think about your future and helps you invest in yourself.

“Pandora”, “iHeartRadio” and “Apple Music” all let you listen to your favorite artists with little or no money. I don’t know if it’s true for you, but I must have music when doing homework, otherwise I can’t concentrate on what I am working on.

All in all, apps and technology are a great way to enhance your educational journey. However, be warned, internet addiction can also have negative impacts on your time in college.

Be careful of time-wasting apps and other technology that distract you from your purpose in being here. Do what’s best for you, help yourself succeed and soar.