Any firearm discussion needs student participation

Ryan Spoehr, News Editor

Although there is no proposal at this time to equip Public Safety officers at the college with firearms, some have recently commented about the possibility.

I am not advocating for or against Public Safety having firearms. As a Madison College student and journalist, I only advocate we make sure students are empowered, no matter their opinion, to speak their mind on a subject that affects them greatly – their own safety while on campus.

Students should have the right to stand up and say what will make them feel safer. If students feel they are unsafe if Public Safety officers are not equipped with firearms, they should stand up and let their voice be heard. If students feel the introduction of firearms on campus will make the campus less safe, students should also say something.

It was probably done unintentionally, but the initial Taser proposal to the District Board was done at the December meeting, which was held the week prior to finals week when students are encouraged to focus on studying. The District Board then voted on the Taser resolution in the January meeting, which was prior to the start of the semester when few students were around.

Public Safety officials did make presentations about the Taser proposal to the Student Senate and the Student Activities Board, a board of campus organization student leaders, in November. This was done to allow student leaders gauge what their fellow students felt, but it only gave them a few weeks to do so because the process was so quick.

If there is a proposal with firearms, lets make it a long-term initiative. Lets get as much student opinion on this as possible, and act on something this important during a time when students are more available on campus. We should have that discussion in the middle of a fall or spring semester.

When the Taser resolution was passed, only one current Madison College student spoke their opinion before the District Board, and that was Student Senate President Colin Bowden.

Bowden is also co-chair of the Student Activities Board. Whether you agree or disagree with his views, his activity on campus should be commended. However, with being so active on campus, he had information surrounding him daily. The average student here does not have that.

Lets educate the students

It’s incumbent on student organizations to have open communication with each other and Public Safety. Organizations such as The Clarion, Student Senate and even Student Ambassadors should help any way we can.

The Clarion reported on the Taser proposal, but if there is a firearms development, we should be there as a liaison to the general student population. Student Senate needs to continue to be as involved on campus as they have been with events, getting out to the cafeteria and sending out emails.

Also, if such a proposal comes about, Public Safety should take the discussion to more students. As well as continuing to field questions on Tasers, they need to speak with students if they wish to propose arming officers with firearms.

That doesn’t necessarily mean just in their office, but also having a table in the cafeteria periodically during lunch hours with information on any proposal to have armed campus officers. More students can be reached there at once and, to be honest, some may be intimidated by the prospect of going into the Public Safety office to have a discussion. Are Public Safety Chief Jim Bottoni and Sgt. Joe Steffen approachable? Yes, but many students may not know that.

Students: Don’t just sit back

Students have opportunities to speak their minds. Student Senate meetings are a good way to speak. That entity is there for the same reasons as a city council or a town board – to put out legislation and act as a liaison to higher forms of government. Each meeting agenda has a public comments item. Students should use that time to ask questions or voice concerns.

The same can be said about the District Board. The District Board is essentially the highest governing body on campus and they meet the second Wednesday of each month.

Agendas and more information can be found at Madisoncollege.edu in the A-Z index under “D.” For info on the Student Senate, go to “S” in the index.

Also, in the publication you are reading right now, there is a letter to the editor option. There is even information on doing that right in the section you are reading right now. Use it. I know Public Safety, Student Senators and administration members read the publication, so they will see your opinions.

Whether you are for or against firearms, it is important that they all know how you feel if such a proposal is ever made.