Tapsoba to serve as president of Student Senate for 2022-23

Lauren Taillon , Arts Editor

Madison College students voted for the student senators that they wanted to represent them the most this month for the 2022-2023 school years. After much anticipation, the results are finally in.  

On Wednesday, April 13, the new student senators and senate president were announced via the Student Senate’s social media accounts. The new Madison College Student Senate President is Wendpanga “Wilfried” Tapsoba. 

Tapsoba has volunteered as a tutor, worked at the STEM Center and used to be a choir teacher. The new president also taught English to high school graduates and kindergarten children in Burkina Faso for a year. 

“To me, being elected as the new Student Senate President is an opportunity and an honor to bring positive change on campus to improve present and future students’ experience, and find ways to connect with students in order to better serve them,” he said. 

Some of the goals that Tapsoba would like to accomplish in the next three years involve racial equity and student outreach. He wants to get students involved in campus activities and help them to take advantage of opportunities that could serve them as a student. One of these examples that he mentioned include hosting a fun, new student orientation where students can make friends and feel welcomed on campus. 

“Additionally, I want to help develop and promote student leadership, find what students like or dislike about Madison College so that we, the Student Senate, can make the college a better environment for them,” Tapsoba said. “I would like Madison College students to know that I would appreciate hearing their thoughts on what they think should be improved or done to help them succeed and have a better experience at college,” he continued. 

Other senators that were newly elected include Tylor Brackett, Sierra Brunner, Staci Brunner, T Horne, Buya Jammeh, Saikou Kolley, Elijah Lin, Lisa Lindert, Grace Louis-Reindl, Mary SeGall, Ali Soumano and Nicolas Vera-Arroyo. Former Senate President Sean Green and student senator Katrina Willis will both return as senators.