Students have varied viewpoints on voting

Elise Lien & Rachel J. Seizer, Contributor

Vote November 6th, 2018The stakes are very high on this Nov. 6 mid-term election.  Not only with the future of the state, but the country at hand. Control of state houses, the U.S. House of Representatives, and the Senate are all at risk.

Madison College has an array of students standing at different points on voting.  From non-voters all the way to voters who feel strongly about voting.

When Madison College students were asked if they were going to vote, many answers were a straight forward yes or no. The more interesting answers lie within the explanation on why they chose to vote or not.

Rowan N.M. Rainford, a student at Madison College, stated that “my parents said that it’s my civic duty to vote.”  He expressed that his parents explained how the issues we vote on impact many people.  Rainford has come to the realization of its importance on his own, as well.  “That’s important to me, too, because I care about other people other than myself.”

A fourth semester student, Nancy Garduno, was also enthusiastic about voting.  She said “I feel like it’s my obligation as a citizen.  There are so many people who want to, and I’m able to.” 

Marie Helser, another student, said she had voted in the past two elections that she was eligible for. 

Helser said “in a democracy it’s, like, our only voice. It’s a way for each individual to get their ideas out there and choose what they want,” on why she chooses to vote.

Some students know exactly what they want and are hoping to get out of the election.

Christy Coombs, a student, said that her “vote depends heavily on a governor who will fight for education whether it be tuition for students, fair pay for teachers, or the quality of the education in itself to decrease the size of academic achievement gaps.”  

She went on to state that “this election is a referendum on the Presidency. People are so fed up with Trump and Scott Walker that I think they will vote for anyone who isn’t a Republican.” 

Coombs believes that the country is not moving in the best direction.  If people want change, as Coombs suggests, voting may be a way to make it happen.

Another student, Steve Wallace, offers a different perspective on how he decides his voting.

“The election is shaped by concerns over our schools and roads falling apart and health care prices skyrocketing,” he said.

Among those who have voted and plan on doing so again, there are students whose first time will come this election round. 

Luke Van Herwynen, also a student, described how he hasn’t previously been eligible to vote because of his age.  He plans on participating this election season.

Of course, not all students are enthusiastic about voting. Some students don’t believe that their vote counts and others simply say they aren’t interested in politics and policy.

Student Daniel Swenson said that he hasn’t voted and will not be. His reply to why he’s decided on this came with a chuckle, “I have no clue. I don’t care, if that makes any sense.”

The good news is students don’t have to be political science experts to get up to speed on the candidates and where they stand on issues. Resources like Wisconsin Vote (wisconsinvote.org), compiled by Wisconsin Public Television and Wisconsin Public Radio, provide a primer on candidates and where they stand, as well as information to guide you in getting to the poll and being prepared when you get there.