2 issues on Dane County ballot

Haddi Tanner, Contributor

Vote November 6th, 2018While the candidates clearly are the biggest draws to the polls, two referenda also are appearing on ballots in Dane County on Nov. 6.

The first of the two asks, “Should the state legislature protect residential property taxpayers by preventing commercial and manufacturing property owners from using tax loopholes to shift the tax burden to homeowners?”

The second one asks, “Should marijuana be legalized, taxed and regulated in the same manner as alcohol for adults 21 years of age or older?”

To gauge student interest, an informal poll asked 48 Madison College students a few short survey questions. Of them, 13 knew of at least one of the upcoming referenda, 18 did not know either and 17 didn’t even know what a referendum was.

Most students surveyed seemed to have little to no interest in the first referendum. This response is to be expected, though, as most college students are not homeowners.

In Wisconsin, voting on a referendum (other than school budget plans) does not enact a direct change in policies, but instead brings attention to the public’s opinion on them. There are 249 different referenda in the state this election.

A marijuana use referendum question appears on ballots in 16 counties and two cities in Wisconsin on Nov. 6. Some of the marijuana referenda relate to allowing individuals with debilitating medical conditions to use and safely access marijuana for medical purposes.