Fashion show raises funds for Domestic Abuse Intervention Services

Mason Flanagan / Clarion

DAIS Executive Director Shannon Barry walks the runway in the DAIS fashion show, carrying a yellow umbrella that symbolizes survival from domestic abuse.

Mason Flanagan, Staff Writer

Madison’s own Domestic Abuse Intervention Services, colloquially known as DAIS, hosts an annual fashion show that functions both as a fundraiser for as well as a celebration of the survivors of domestic abuse. This year the event was titled “#DressforDAIS” and was hosted across State St. from Madison College’s Downtown Campus at the Overture Center. 

The show was both intriguing for its artistic merit and inspiring for its purpose. Outfits that graced the runway included a wide variety of apparel from evening wear, to casual wear, and activewear, all seasoned to coincide with Wisconsin’s current falling of autumn leaves.

Each piece was seasonal in its own way but color palettes of milk coffee brown, caramel brown, maple leaf red, and post-industrial gray were prevalent across most of the collection. Design themes evident on the runway were numerous and impressive but to name a few I noticed: well draped and textured autumn sweaters, well draped thigh length casual jackets, and embroidered leather shoes. Geometric pattern designs were also popular but were presented surprisingly non-derivitavely such as on ponchos or worn with a matching piece.

All of the pieces in the show were selected from local Madison boutiques including: Luceo, Tradition Children’s Market, Mainstream Boutique, Z.bella Boutique, Chauette, Pure Barre, and Mes Amies. The hair and makeup work was also provided by local Madison salons including: Aveda Institute, Posha Salon, Union Hair Parlor, Julia Grace Salon, Tempt’d Salon, Hybrid Salon, Studio Z, and Lexa’s Luxurious Looks. 

The fashion off the runway was almost just as dazzling. Popular styles for the guests included floral blouses and floral casual jackets for the ladies and textured evening collar shirts for the men. A few of the academics in attendance also sported Scottish sweaters which as we all know haven’t gone out of style for 400 years. 

Earlier in the evening, before the show began, I had the privilege of talking with Carolann Nelson of DAIS, who helped coordinate and organize the event about the intentions and goals of the show. What she said was truly heartwarming. I learned about the variety of services that DAIS offers and how 100% of the proceeds from the show would go to funding the charitable work of the organization. In addition to staffing a 24/7 emergency helpline to take calls resulting from domestic abuse, DAIS also operates community support services in the forms of safety planning, legal advocacy, and support groups. DAIS staffs an emergency shelter to house victims of domestic abuse. DAIS provides primary prevention programs- educational programs that tour schools and teach children about the warning signs, dangers, and results of domestic abuse as well as about resources available in the community for children to reach out to if they or someone they know is experiencing domestic abuse. Lastly DAIS becomes an even more inspiring organization when one learns that the Executive Director of DAIS, Shannon Barry, is herself a survivor of domestic abuse and uses her past experiences to drive her to support others.

When asked why did DAIS choose the venue of a fashion show for their fundraiser Ms. Nelson said it was all about community engagement: “This is a fun way for numerous local businesses (boutiques and salons) to get involved, as well as for nearly 200 people to volunteer. It’s a vibrant and fun event that may attract Dane County residents to DAIS and issues around domestic violence for the first time.” DAIS strategy certainly seems to be working; the attending crowd was indeed sporting black ties but coming to the event those same individuals were able to learn about a serious and pressing problem in the Dane County area as well as contribute to the cause. 

DAIS put on one phenomenal show, everything from the outfits, to the event space, and the music, was pulled off very well. The evening only became more impressive when you realize that at the end of the night DAIS had raised an estimated $50,000 to support victims of domestic abuse.