Chef series to showcase Chicago’s Bill Kim

Mario Gasparri, Staff Writer

Madison has long been recognized as a food lover’s paradise and Madison College’s Culinary Arts Program is doing its part to contribute to this scene.

In 2016 the Culinary School renovated its kitchen which had stood since 1986 creating a much larger space with brand-new, state-of-the-art equipment including all new demonstration tables so as to better accommodate professional chefs, and culinary students.

This grand vision for the culinary program has created significant excitement amongst students and staff. This has allowed the school to offer unique programs as the community continues to pursue its love of food and the culinary arts.

Coming later in October is the second installment of the popular Chef Series which was started in January 2017. The Chef Series showcases world class chefs who come to Madison College to display their incredible cooking skills and share some secrets.

In addition to cooking and serving incredible food, these successful entrepreneurs will recount their journey through the business side of the culinary arts and the obstacles they had to overcome as they successfully worked their way up the culinary ladder.

The first guest to be showcased this semester will be legendary Chef Bill Kim. The Chicago restaurateur will visit Madison College on Thursday, Oct. 19 and share his truly unique culinary journey.

As a 7-year-old immigrant from South Korea, his interest was sparked by his first kitchen duty – roasting and grinding sesame seeds using a mortar and pestle for his mother’s kimchi recipe. With this passion for the culinary arts firmly entrenched, he went on to study classic French cooking and then work at fine restaurants across the country.

Kim ultimately returned to Chicago and showing entrepreneurial insight and innovation, was one of the pioneers in the movement of fine dining chefs introducing casual concepts.

Using this strategy of offering upscale food in a more comfortable setting, Chef Kim went on to open several successful Chicago restaurants including Urbanbelly, Belly Shack, and bellyQ. Kim is an extraordinary chef and Madison College is fortunate to have him here to share with us his incredible journey.