Record-setting coach takes over at Madison College

Allison Christensen/Clarion

Lois Heeren is in her first season as Madison College women’s basketball coach. She comes to Madison College from UW-La Crosse, where she was the winningest women’s basketball coach in school history.

Bailey Ayres, Sports Editor

Before becoming the new coach for the Madison College women’s basketball team, Lois Heeren was coach at the University of Wisconsin – La Crosse for 17 years.

Heeren enjoyed a high level of success at the NCAA Division III school, posting a program record 209 wins in her tenure as coach.

She has now been the head coach at Madison College for about a month and looks forward to taking over a program with a long history of success.

“I got hired in August,” Heeren said. “I was looking for a different challenge.  … It was the right time to make a move.”

She replaces Jessica Pelzel, who posted a 211-93 record in her 10 years as coach at Madison College. Last year, the team posted a 27-4 record.

As you would expect, Heeren is looking forward to her first season with the WolfPack.

“It’s a learning process,” she said about the move, adding that she is still adjusting to the differences between coaching at a two-year and a four-year school.

In addition to coaching, Heeren is a physical education instructor at Madison College.

“I have been involved with teaching all of my 22 years of coaching,” Heeren said. “I enjoy helping the students grow and develop.”

Although practices began this month and the first game isn’t until Nov. 1, Heeren is looking forward to the start of the season.

“I’m excited and looking forward to the challenge,” Heeren said. “It will be a great opportunity for the second-year players returning and the first-year players coming in.”

Heeren embraces taking over a team that has grown accustomed to success and has high hopes that it will be able to compete at a national level.

“The potential of a national championship is certainly doable. … You can build champions here at Madison College,” Heeren said.

“I am all about building champions in players and in life,” says Heeren.