Madison mayoral race already gearing up

Kiley Swenson, Staff Writer

The election for Madison’s next mayor isn’t until April, but candidates have already started campaigning.

The primary will be held in February and pits current mayor Paul Soglin against alderman Scott Resnick and former alderman Bridget Maniaci, two of whom will go on to the non-partisan general election.

Seven-times elected Madison mayor Paul Soglin, (most recently in 2011) has an extensive career in politics and law. As a student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, he participated in Vietnam protests in the 1960s and marched with Dr. Martin Luther King Jr in 1965.

In recent years, Soglin has had a hand at developing bike routes in Madison, the design of State Street mall, and ensuring a bus system which some argue rivals that of cities three times the size of Madison. Soglin also helped develop the Madison Civic Center (now the Overture Center).

The second candidate is Ald. Scott Resnick, who has a background in political science and legal studies from UW-Madison. His academic studies are paired with a passion for Madison living. On his campaign website, the two-time council member says he believes the race will feature “high energy and big ideas.”

Resnick’s major focuses are on closing the achievement gap, addressing not only poverty but also homelessness and unemployment. Resnick, alongside classmate Jon Hardin, created Hardin Design and Development (a digital design firm) and helped found Capital Entrepreneurs in 2009.

The third candidate is former Madison alder Bridget Maniaci, who spent four years on the Madison Common Council. She advocated during her time for tenant rights, building inspection improvement and voter registration access. Her year as an intern in 2006 for former Mayor Dave Cieslewicz helped her gain experience of, that she feels, would serve her well as mayor. As an alder, Maniaci supported the Edgewater Hotel project.

Issues that are important to students of Madison College that the candidates can be expected to focus on over the next four months include transportation/transit and possible Madison Metro bus fare increases; homelessness and affordable housing; and public markets and other building projects.