College hosts dairy expo judging

Joe Pruski

Judges sample items at the World Dairy Expo Championship on Aug. 20 in the Mitby Theater.

Joe Pruski, Opinion Editor

Some of the finest dairy products from the United States and beyond were judged at Madison College’s Mitby Theater during the World Dairy Expo Championship on Aug. 19 and 20.

The championship, sponsored by the Wisconsin Dairy Products Association (WDPA), is unique in that it is the only competition that spans all genres of dairy. While many organizations host cheese competitions, the WDPA event judges multiple categories of dairy such as cheese, yogurt, ice cream, milk, and whey.

“We’re an all-dairy contest and we are the only state organization that represents all of the dairy industry,” Executive Director of the WDPA Brad Legreid said. “Promoting all dairy products is our number one goal.”

This year marks the 12th year of the contest, all of which have been held at Madison College. Over 1000 entries were submitted making this championship the biggest yet.

“It took Wisconsin Cheese Makers Association 25 years to reach 1000 entries, we’ve done it in 12!” Legreid boasted.

Included in the entries are producers of all sizes- from ‘mom and pop’ businesses in rural Maine, to industry giants such as Dean, Kraft, and Land o’ Lakes. Legreid estimates that close to 40 percent of entries come from the state of Wisconsin. He said that whether a company is awarded first place or last place, participants receive a boon for their business.

“If you finish first it’s really a tremendous marketing opportunity, it also helps employee morale,” Legreid said. “But even if you don’t win it’s a huge benefit. These judges are the best in the business, they’re primarily sensory experts. You’re basically getting free advice from experts in the industry.”

The 30 first place winning entries will be auctioned off on September 30 with proceeds benefiting dairy industry scholarships. Entries placing second and third will be donated to the college’s culinary arts program.

The relationship between the WDPA and Madison College began with a phone call from Legreid to Culinary Arts Instructor John Johnson over a decade ago. Though the WDPA uses the Mitby Theater free of charge for two days, the culinary arts program receives a tremendous windfall of award winning dairy products.

Johnson estimates that the program receives close to $10,000 in dairy product most years. Referencing a 200-pound wheel of swiss currently sitting in the culinary arts department cooler, he said the arrangement with the WDPA has been mutually beneficial.

“Nothing goes to waste,” Legreid said. Excess cheese and perishable dairy that the school cannot use is donated to several charitable organizations including Second Harvest, The River Food Pantry, and other local food shelves.

“The cheeses we get (after the competition) are like, ‘holy crap’, I mean, some of the beefiest medium cheddars I’ve ever had. It’s just phenomenal,” Johnson said. “We’re probably the only school in the United States that gets that.”

Legreid said that Madison College has been “very gracious” in opening their doors each year and that he is glad to help support the culinary arts program.

“There are 100 students in the culinary school- these are future chefs,” Legreid explained. “We want them to know what working with high quality dairy products is like.”

Last year the WDPA made a financial contribution to the culinary program in addition to the donated dairy products. Legreid said they plan to make a $3000 donation this year. According to Johnson, the money is put directly into scholarship funds.