Public Safety Report
Joe Steffen, Crime Prevention Leader
February 9, 2011
Filed under News
What’s happening? Madison College Public Safety Department responds to many calls for service. However we would like to keep the college community informed. Here are some of the notable incidents this month.
- On Jan. 26, Madison College Public Safety Officers removed a disorderly individual from the Downtown Education Center with the assistance of Madison Police Department. Charges and discipline are pending for this case.
- On Jan. 26, Madison College Public Safety Officers removed an intoxicated individual from the Truax Campus. Charges and discipline are pending for this case.
- On Jan. 28, Madison College Public Safety Officers took a report of a vehicle break-in on at the Truax Campus. $550 dollars worth of property was missing from the vehicle. Public Safety is currently investigating the incident.
Campus Safety Tip of the Month
Winter driving can be challenging for even the most experienced drivers, thus it is not surprising that vehicle accidents increase during the winter season. However, there are a few steps you can take to help make your trip a safe one:
1) Decrease your speed and leave yourself plenty of room to stop. You should allow at least three times more space than usual between you and the car in front of you.
2) Brake gently to avoid skidding. If your wheels start to lock up, ease off the brake.
3) Don’t use cruise control or overdrive on icy roads.
4) Don’t assume your vehicle can handle all conditions. Even four-wheel and front-wheel drive vehicles can encounter trouble on winter roads.
5) Turn on your lights to increase your visibility to other motorists.
As always if you have any information regarding the above incidents or other College safety concerns please contact our department at 243-4357, we have Public Safety Officers available 24/7.