You don’t have to leave Madison to have fun this summer

Boating in Madisons lakes is always a fun time.

Ana Bon

Boating in Madison’s lakes is always a fun time.

Eric Swanson, Staff Writer

Even after most of the students leave for the summer, there are endless opportunities for fun in Madison.

Great weather and multiple lakes present many outdoor activities. Brightly colored patio chairs are widely associated with the Memorial Union here in Madison. Hanging out by the water’s edge and listening to free music on a warm summer night can’t be beat.  Currently under construction it is scheduled to open for the summer by May 14.

The Capitol square boasts the largest producers-only farmers market in the country. On Saturday mornings from spring to fall, the square hosts over 150 vendors with local products for you to choose from.

Know someone with a boat? Have a boat of your own? Hit Lake Mendota or Monona on a sunny day for guaranteed fun. Whether you’re in it for the fast paced action of skiing or tubing or just want to float around and hangout, a day on the lake is a day well spent.

State Street is what Madison is all about. Of course everyone already knows about it, but that doesn’t mean it’s not great. Just walking up and down checking out the shops or grabbing a slice of pizza from Ian’s can make a day.

The Madison Mallards baseball is made up of college players who come for the summer to play in the off-season league. Head on down to the Duck Pond to catch a baseball game and take in the ballpark at a good price.

Concerts on the Square takes place in front of the Capitol during the warm months of June and July. Stop by on Wednesday nights to hear the Wisconsin Chamber Orchestra perform for free.

There are countless things to do in Madison during the summer, especially if you’re on a budget. Just because the students leave doesn’t mean the fun does!