Having fun on Free Art Fridays

Arts Editor Marisa Comeau-Kerege learns how to make jewelry out of wire at Memorial Union’s monthly Free Art Fridays.

Natalie Connors

Marisa Comeau-Kerege, Arts Editor

Although college is filled with many stress inducing assignments, midterms and finals, there are many fun activities all around campus.

Memorial Union is now hosting Free Art Fridays! Open to the public, this free event in the newly renovated Wheelhouse Studios (formerly the Craftshop) happens on the first Friday of every month.  The new studio has two workshop rooms, instruction areas as well as a pottery room.

The studio provides all equipment and supplies needed for the monthly craft.
November’s activity featured wire jewelry with the option to make wire rings and bracelets.  The Clarion’s own decided to try our hand at wire working.

Wire of different colors and width were provided along with many different beads and instructors there to help.  At each table different tools were spread out for the taking and detailed instructions helped guide us through the process.

We got there early, which is recommended to get the best selection of beads and tools.  As time went on, the place really filled up with students looking for a creative outlet to relieve some built up stress or just looking for a new place to socialize.

Groups of people at each table, whether they previously knew each other or not, began talking and laughing as they worked through the project.  Even though the room was packed, it became almost fun trying to squeeze everyone in at one table.

For those students who sometimes feel alone in college, activities like these can help make us feel like we’re a part of something, and you never know who you might meet there.
Next month’s activity is on how to make your own snow globe on Dec. 5.