The many stages of awesome

A season preview of performing arts

Alison Malek, Staff Writer

Looking for a way to get involved at Madison College?  Love to act or work behind the scenes in a theatre? If so, here’s your opportunity. Madison College offers astounding Performing Arts programs. Performing Arts even takes it to a new level by adding the spoken word team, and of course you can’t forget the music.

“Permanent Collection”

Fall is coming and so is its production, “Permanent Collection.” Director Mike Lussenden, will take the lead in this energized and fragile production, which provides monologue reasoning on the point of view of race. According to Lussenden, Permanent Collection is “based on true events and the fictionalized.” Lussenden drew inspiration from a script he’s been using in his Intro To Theatre course for the past four years. Lussenden and his colleague, director Miranda Hawk, has debated and finally agreed that they are ready to tackle this and present it to the world of theatre. “Even though we think we are right about race, we can be wrong,” said Lussenden.

The Permanent Collection’s plot center around the new director of a museum who wishes to change the offerings to provide equality. If you are interested in a role, auditions will be held Tuesday, Sept. 16, at 6 p.m., Wednesday, Sept. 17, at 4 p.m., or by appointment. Weekly rehearsals will be held on Thursdays, 5-7 p.m. Various productions will be open to the public Nov. 7-16. For more information, refer to Madison College’s Performing Arts website, or contact a director.

Music Events

Madison College offers a variety of music performances, ranging from band and orchestra to jazz and choir. Stay tuned to the Madison College website for more information on upcoming music events.

New Spoken Word

New this year, Madison College’s Performing Arts has added a Spoken Word Team. Spoken word is an opportunity for students to learn performance poetry  and present theses skills through workshops, open mic sessions and poetry slam competitions. It starts Sept. 23, with a series of events including an open mic in the student lounge at 1:45 p.m., a Spoken Word performance at 2:45 p.m., and a workshop in Student Life from 4-6 p.m. Sabrina Madison will advise the group. All are invited to attend.

“Romeo and Juliet”

Do you enjoy classic plays? Can you speak Elizabethan English? If you answered yes to both, come try out for Romeo and Juliet. Director Miranda Hawk runs a classic play every year. She believes that it tells a good story and introduces people to a different style. Hawk leaves us hanging by asking, “What is the journey of getting there, and do they really lose?” Tryouts will be on Tuesday, Dec. 2, at 6 p.m., and Wednesday, Dec. 3, at 4 p.m. For more information, refer to the Performing Arts page on the Madison College website, or contact a director.

Theatre Workshop

In preparation for “Romeo and Juliet”, Jim Ridge will be running a workshop to help students with the Language of Shakespeare. The workshop will be mid-day on Saturdays, Dec. 13 and 20.

Kennedy Center/ American College Theatre Festival

Every year, in January, Madison College theatre students have an opportunity to attend a national theatre festival. Last year, Madison College sent a student all the way to finals, which is rare for two-year colleges. This year’s festival is in Milwaukee, Jan. 6-11.

Performing Arts Student Showcase 2015

The Performing Arts Student Showcase will be held in the Studio Theatre, Wednesday, April 29 through Thursday, April 30.

Improv Guild

Returning this fall, Improv Guild, will help you learn styles, techniques, and forms of improv. Joining Improv Guild will provide you with an opportunity to meet new people, laugh, and have fun. They meet Thursdays, 5-7 p.m.